Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Mumbai Meri Jaan !

Strange as it may sound, it is my 6th year of running SCMM and never once did I blog about this..

Having shifted to Pune in 2000 I am still a Mumbaikar at heart and mumbai marathon lets me experience Mumbaikars at their best. Lining the whole route, cheering and lending support with all the help that they can, most outstation runners remember this part of the run vividly and encourage other runners who have never run Mumbai to attempt it at least once.

Therefore SCMM 2015 once again found me at the start point, albeit without my friends, Umesh and Parag, who have accompanied me on so many outstation events. Umesh lost his mother three weeks back and was not prepared mentally to join us although his training had been top notch. He would have definitely burnt the tracks and done a sub 4:00 if not for the personal loss. Without their company the train journey from Pune to Mumbai wasn't the same but was nonetheless made interesting by others from PTC.

Coming back to Mumbaikars support, some of the unforgettable moments, of the many, worth mentioning are,


  • Three senior citizens on the harmonica playing "Saare Jahan Se Accha ..."
  • A group of residents in the parking lot of their apartment with one person singing classic Bollywood numbers sans music " Chalte chalte mujhe koi mil gaaya tha ..."
  • The Indian Navy band and "Bhaag Milkha Bhaag in the still of the dawn at Marine Drive gave me goose pimples.
  • The sad look on a small girl’s face standing at the divider when nobody took her bottle of water. Brought a shy look to her face when I stopped and patted her and the parents opposite the road clapped at her J
  • "Aap ko medal milenga, Bhaago " screamed another Mumbaikar with a medal around his neck at the 41 km point as I was walking and saving energy for the final 500 m sprint :-)
  • The plates of salt and oranges, glucose biscuits, chocolates. 
  • Small girls dressed in cheerleader attire with pom poms
  • My brother's neighbour, Shakila, from Kalina supporting her Topgear MIG club flagging me and supporting with ice and cold water to drink.
  • The lady holding this placard "Run ! I just farted !"

and many more.

Wish I had a camera to capture all this. Maybe next time.

Hats off to all the people from Mumbai coming out to cheer us. Without you SCMM would be just any other marathon event across the country. Thanks for making it special !

No comments: